Nail fungus is a prevalent condition affecting between 3 and 12% of the global population. While this infection is not life-threatening, it can be unsightly and cause discomfort. Let’s take a closer look at this common infection and explore the available nail fungus treatments Las Vegas has to offer.
Table of Contents
What Is Nail Fungus?
Medically known as onychomycosis, nail fungus is a fungal infection that targets the nails. The four primary types of fungal nail infections are the following:
- Distal or Lateral Subungual Onychomycosis: This type is the most common nail fungus that originates from a fungus known as a dermatophyte, affecting both the fingernails and toenails.
- White Superficial Onychomycosis: Less common than the previous type, this type primarily targets the toenails, affecting only the surface.
- Proximal Subungual Onychomycosis: This type primarily affects individuals with compromised immune systems.
- Candidal Onychomycosis: Candidal nail fungus is a yeast-induced infection mainly affecting the fingernails.
Fungal Nail Infection Causes
Dermatophytes, molds, and yeasts are the primary culprits, with the infection typically occurring when these microorganisms find their way into small cracks in the nail or surrounding skin. Given the fungus’s preference for warm, dark environments, it is more prone to infect toenails than fingernails.
Additionally, due to the relatively lower blood circulation in the toes than in the fingers, it becomes more challenging for your body’s immune system to detect and stave off an infection. Factors that increase the risk of nail fungus development include the following:
- Age: Older people have more brittle nails than younger individuals
- Immune System: A weak immune system makes it harder for the body to fight off infections
- Footwear: Tight, enclosed shoes create an ideal environment for fungi to thrive
- Hygiene: Poor grooming habits create an opportunity for fungi to grow and spread
- Trauma: Injuring your nail or surrounding skin can allow the fungus to enter and cause an infection
The Symptoms of Nail Fungus
Identifying the symptoms of nail fungus early on is vital for prompt treatment. Common signs include nail discoloration, yellowing, thickening, and a distorted or brittle appearance. The infected nail may also emit a foul odor.
In more severe cases, the nail may detach from the nail bed, which can be painful and uncomfortable. If you notice any of these symptoms, seek professional advice to prevent the infection from spreading.
Nail Fungus Treatments in Las Vegas
Las Vegas residents dealing with nail fungus have several treatment options, including the following:
Oral Antifungal Medication
Healthcare professionals often prescribe oral antifungal drugs to eradicate the fungus from within, promoting the growth of a new, healthy nail. The usual daily intake duration for this type of medication is between six to 12 weeks.
Prescribed topical antifungal medications, such as medicated nail polish or cream, are applied directly to the affected nail and surrounding skin. While they may be less effective than oral medications, they can be suitable for mild to moderate cases.
Las Vegas is also at the forefront of adopting innovative treatments, including laser therapy for nail fungus. This non-invasive procedure targets the fungi beneath the nail through concentrated light without causing harm to the surrounding tissues.
Visit Healor for Your Healthcare Needs
Nail fungus is a common and treatable condition that can be difficult to remove. You can take proactive steps toward healthier nails by understanding the causes, recognizing symptoms, and exploring the diverse treatment options.
If you’re dealing with nail fungus or any other healthcare concern, Healor is your reliable healthcare provider. Our experienced professionals can guide you through the various nail fungus treatments in Las Vegas and help you choose the most suitable path for your needs.
Don’t let nail fungus hinder your confidence and well-being. Contact Healor today!