Discover the Common Risk Factors That May Cause Erectile Dysfunction. Some men are unable to develop or maintain an erection during sexual intercourse with a partner. Unfortunately, Erectile dysfunction (ED) can affect a man at any time but it is more common with increasing age. It may add unnecessary stress to a relationship or cause problems with self-esteem.
While the root cause of ED differs among men, there are a number of potential underlying causes. Below, patients can take a closer look at the most common risk factors for erectile dysfunction and learn about helpful treatment options in Las Vegas, NV.
Table of Contents
What causes ED?
Erectile dysfunction can be an occasional issue, while others may experience it on a more consistent basis. Either way, it can be a source of great concern. Many factors contribute to the development of ED, including:
- Age: Many studies have demonstrated that ED is increasingly prevalent with age, especially among men with declining testosterone levels.
- Obesity: Blocked arteries can make it impossible for blood to travel to the penis during intercourse. Being overweight or obese only adds to this risk.
- Lifestyle choices: Smoking cigarettes and regularly consuming large amounts of alcohol can also damage the blood vessels and impede blood flow.
- Emotional issues: Problems like depression and anxiety take a toll on the body in many ways. It can be hard to focus on sexual activity, especially if there is an issue related to work, finances, or even a relationship.
- Medications: Certain medications cause ED as a side effect. These include certain blood pressure medications, antidepressants, and antipsychotics.
- Some medical conditions: Diabetes and Peyronie's disease are two examples of conditions that lead to ED, especially when left untreated for too long.
What treatment options are available for ED?
Lifestyle modifications may help manage mild to moderate symptoms of ED. These changes may include regular diet and exercise to lose weight, quitting smoking and drinking, and reducing stress levels. Improving your overall health is known to be effective in reducing ED symptoms and improving sexual function.
However, some lifestyle changes are not enough to resolve ED completely, especially in severe or chronic cases. We recommend seeing a trained professional in Las Vegas, NV with experience in men’s sexual health to get the help you need. Options may include:
- Medication: This common ED treatment involves taking a pill before sexual activity. Oral medications work by relaxing the muscles and increasing blood flow to the penis.
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy: Treatment requires taking a small amount of the patient's blood and using it to encourage the growth of new blood vessels and improve circulation. PRP therapy is nonsurgical and minimally invasive.
- Shockwave therapy: Shockwave therapy uses sound wave technology to improve blood flow to the penis. Treatment is also nonsurgical but may require one or several sessions to produce long-lasting results.
Treat ED and improve sexual function
We understand that erectile dysfunction can be difficult to discuss with a partner, let alone a medical professional. Board-certified physician Dr. Raj Singh and the team at HEALOR™ erectile dysfunction clinic in Las Vegas are proud to offer a wide range of solutions like oral medications, PRP therapy, and shockwave or soundwave therapy in Las Vegas, NV. Call today to request a private appointment and see how we can help you. We can help you achieve optimum health and live a life that you love.